Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Don't forget to allow an extra 30-minutes to salt and rinse the eggplant.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs eggplants, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1⁄2 red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a colander over a bowl, combine the eggplant with enough kosher salt to coat evenly.
- Let the eggplant sit for 30 minutes then rinse in cold water and wring out any excess moisture with your hands; pat dry.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add the eggplant and brown on all sides; remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pot and then add the celery, red pepper and red onion.
- Sauté for several minutes, allowing the vegetables to soften and brown a little.
- Add the eggplant, capers, pine nuts, white wine vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes until the vegetables have cooked through and the liquid reduced.