Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
For me, Chinese food is just as mysterious as it is delicious. One night I had a craving for Chinese restaurant soup, so I raided the pantry and refrigerator for leftovers and came up with this concoction. This soup is easy to make and a good starting point for brave Chinese cooking beginners. I’d definitely try making it again, only with more diverse vegetables to get different textures. Bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, mushrooms, bean sprouts, green onions, julienne carrot strips, the options are endless. (By the way, I don’t measure when I cook so these measurements are approximated.)
- 1182.95 ml water
- 122.75 g packagelipton chicken noodles and sauce
- 1 whole chicken bouillon cube, soup base
- 28.34 g packetramen noodle seasoning (I used mushroom)
- 0.25 ml black pepper
- 0.25 ml dried onion flakes
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 piece imitation crabmeat, leg sliced into rounds
- 28.39 ml diced carrot
- 0.25 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml red French dressing (for sourness)
- 14.79-29.58 ml of your favorite sweet and sour sauce (for sweetness)
- 14.79 ml ketchup (for tangyness)
- 1.25-2.5 ml of tabasco hot pepper sauce (for heat)
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 59.16-73.94 ml cool water
- Bring water to a rumbling boil in a saucepan.
- Stir in package of chicken noodles, soup base cube, Ramen seasoning packet, pepper, and dehydrated onion.
- When seasonings are dissolved and noodles are tender but not too soft, beat egg whites and yolk with a whisk. Slowly add beaten eggs by swirling them into the broth with your whisk. It should take the whisk 4 or 5 trips to get them all inches.
- When eggs are done, mix cornstarch and water. Slowly add cornstarch mixture while stirring to thicken soup. (Make sure there’s enough water so you don’t create a batter. You don’t want lumps or dumplings forming.).
- Add ginger, red French dressing, sweet and sour sauce, ketchup, and hot pepper sauce sauce to taste, stir well.
- Add carrot and crab meat. (I used cooked, leftover carrots. If you only have fresh carrots, cut them and then microwave until tender with a bit of water in a glass dish covered with plastic wrap.).
- Reduce heat to medium and cook a few minutes, until heated through.