Recipe by Manda
This is a nice summer salad with a very unique blend of flavors and textures. I always serve the dressing on the side so that the salad doesn't get soggy, and you can prepare this hours ahead of time. Before serving, you may need to whisk the dressing to blend the vinegar and oil, or use a shaker. Yummy:)
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, torn (I like to use baby spinach)
- 1 (14 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, roughly diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 8 -10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all salad ingredients and toss.
- In seperate bowl, combine dressing ingredients, and whisk well.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- To serve, I offer the dressing on the side, with croutons and Parmesan cheese for topping (opt.) You could also offer shredded cheese, chow mein noodles, or any of your other favorite salad toppings.