Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
A very flavorful, simple to throw together meal. Makes the house smell amazing! This is based on a beef recipe we used to make all the time before going vegan. It is absolutely just as tasty with seitan.
- 1 lb seitan, chunked
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Place seitan, carrots and onion in crockpot.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic clove, red pepper flakes and pineapple juice until sugar is dissolved. Pour into crockpot.
- Cook on low 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, dissolve the cornstarch in the water and add to crockpot, along with bell peppers and pineapple chunks.
- Turn crockpot up to high, and cook for 30 minutes, until peppers are crisp-tender.
- Serve over rice.
A friend at work gave me some seitan to try. I'm so glad I chose this recipe to try it out on. It's delicious. I didn't have time to use the crockpot so it was prepared on the stovetop. I cooked it for about an hour in total and the peppers were only cooked to the point where they still had a bit of crunch. The seitan has a surprisingly meaty texture. Thanks for sharing.
Super good! I served it over quinoa and it was really good. And the house DID smell fantastic!
I followed the recipe and served over brown rice, but was disappointed with the results -- ours wound up more sweet and bitter than like the sweet and sour dishes you might get at a Chinese place. It was worth a try, but just wasn't what any of us had hoped for.