Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A no-mayo recipe from America's Test Kitchen, posted for safekeeping. If making a day ahead, use cider vinegar rather and rice vinegar. Cooking time is the minimum resting time for the cabbage to wilt.
- 1419.54 ml cabbage (about 1/2 medium head or 1 lb., red or green, shredded fine or chopped)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 9.85 ml kosher salt or 4.92 ml table salt
- 1.23 ml celery seed
- 88.74 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml rice vinegar
- ground black pepper
- Toss cabbage and carrots with sugar, salt, and celery seeds in colander set over medium bowl. Let stand until cabbage wilts, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Pour draining liquid from bowl; rinse bowl and dry. Dump wilted cabbage and carrots from colander into bowl.
- Add oil and vinegar; toss to coat. Season with pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be refrigerated 5 days.).