Recipe by LaJuneBug
A no-mayo recipe from America's Test Kitchen, posted for safekeeping. If making a day ahead, use cider vinegar rather and rice vinegar. Cooking time is the minimum resting time for the cabbage to wilt.
- 6 cups cabbage (about 1/2 medium head or 1 lb., red or green, shredded fine or chopped)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss cabbage and carrots with sugar, salt, and celery seeds in colander set over medium bowl. Let stand until cabbage wilts, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Pour draining liquid from bowl; rinse bowl and dry. Dump wilted cabbage and carrots from colander into bowl.
- Add oil and vinegar; toss to coat. Season with pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be refrigerated 5 days.).