Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution’ by ATK
- 4 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (85%)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot jam (or preserves)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place wire rack in foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Mash bread and milk into paste in large bowl using fork.
- Mix in ground beef, parsley, egg yolks, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper using hands.
- Pinch off and roll mixture into tablespoon-size meatballs (about 60 meatballs total) and arrange on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Microwave onion, oil, red pepper flakes, and remaining 2 garlic cloves in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomato sauce, apricot jam, broth, Worcestershire, and mustard in slow cooker.
- Transfer meatballs to slow cooker, discarding rendered fat.
- Cover and cook until meatballs are tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Let meatballs and sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Gently stir in scallions, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.