Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
750 Best Appetizers Makes 1 ½ cup
- 1 lb cipollini onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot of boiling water, place cipollini. Boil for 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold water. Using a sharp knife, lift off skins and discard. Pat onions dry.
- In a heavy skillet large enough to accommodate the onions in a single layer, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until lightly browned on one side, about 5 minutes per side. Reduce heat to low.
- Sprinkle thyme, brown sugar, vinegar and tomato paste evenly over onions and toss to mix well. Drizzle broth over onions.
- Cover and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Increase heat to medium high and cook until liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.