Sweet and Sour Chicken Thighs With Carrots
- Pat chicken dry. Stir together 1 1/2 tsp salt with paprika, cinnamon and pepper. Rub onto chicken.
- Heat oil and brown chicken in 2 batches, turning over once, about 10 minutes per batch.
- Transfer browned chicken to a plate.
- Discard all but 3 TBS of fat from the skillet and add onion and carrots. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until onion softens and begins to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring 1 minute longer.
- Return chicken to skillet, skin side up, nestling it into vegetables. Stir together honey, water, lemon juice until blended and add to skillet, then cook over moderately low heat, covered, until chicken is cooked through and carrots are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. If necessary skim fat from sauce, then add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with herbes just before serving.