Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
The honey and lemon give this delicious chicken a lovely sweet and sour flavour. Serve with your choice of potatoes for a great meal!
- 8 small chicken thighs, with skin and bone, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch wide strips
- 6 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mild honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- Pat chicken dry. Stir together 1 1/2 tsp salt with paprika, cinnamon and pepper. Rub onto chicken.
- Heat oil and brown chicken in 2 batches, turning over once, about 10 minutes per batch.
- Transfer browned chicken to a plate.
- Discard all but 3 TBS of fat from the skillet and add onion and carrots. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until onion softens and begins to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring 1 minute longer.
- Return chicken to skillet, skin side up, nestling it into vegetables. Stir together honey, water, lemon juice until blended and add to skillet, then cook over moderately low heat, covered, until chicken is cooked through and carrots are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. If necessary skim fat from sauce, then add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with herbes just before serving.
This is from the April 2005 issue of Gourmet Magazine.