Recipe by BoxO'Wine
Throw out your takeout menu. This stir fry is fast and easy and is better than your neighborhood chinese restaurant. Add more crushed red pepper if you like your food spicey hot.
Top Review by flowcircusdotcom
Quick and simple. Too sweet and not enough veggies for my taste. probably cut the sugar in half. I would try to make it with maple syrup or with a fruit juice concentrate to sweeten.
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 8 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons dried cilantro (coriander)
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 lb snow pea pods, ends and strings removed
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together sauce ingredients.
- Place a wok over high heat.
- When wok is hot, add 2 tbsp peanut oil.
- when oil is hot, add garlic and chicken and stir fry until chicken is cooked (about 3 mins).
- Remove from wok and set aside.
- Pour remaining 1 tbsp oil into wok.
- when oil is hot, add onion and bell pepper.
- Stir fry until vegetables are tender crisp (about 2 mins).
- Add pea pods, stir fry about 1 minutes.
- Return chicken to wok.
- Stir sweet and sour sauce, pour into wok along with pineapple.
- Stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- Serve over hot cooked white rice.