Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a simple, quick and easy, yet very tasty and healthy chicken soup. Recipe courtesy of my Mom's stash.
Top Review by Geema
This recipe was a success! I never thought I could duplicate one of my favorite restaurant soups, but this dish was even better! I used homemade chicken stock and tender leftover roast chicken, along with all the other delicious ingredients, except rice noodles instead of somen or angel hair. When I first tasted the finished soup base, there was not even a hint of "sweet", so I added a teaspoon of honey. Still I felt there was something missing and, hoping HeyJude wouldn't mind too much, I added a scant tablespoon of hoisin sauce. That did it, and both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed a healthy and delicious lunch that was actually quick and easy to make.
- 6 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper (important to use WHITE pepper, this isn't the same with black)
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups thinly sliced spinach leaves
- 1 1⁄2 ounces somen noodles (wheat noodles) or 1 1⁄2 ounces angel hair pasta, uncooked