1 hr 30 mins
katie in the UP's Note:
recipe from Mario batali Adopted 09/06
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2-4 lbs chicken
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery heart, chopped and some celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons currants, soaked and drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 10 large Sicilian olives, whole with pits (the green variety)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup blanched almond, lightly toasted
- fennel, fronds for garnish
- orange wedge, for garnish
- pepperoncini pepper, for garnish
- 1Remove all the skin and trim the fat from the chicken.
- 2Cut the chicken into 8 small pieces, using both the breast and the thighs, season with salt and pepper.
- 3In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- 4When the oil starts to shimmer, add the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes on each side.
- 5Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set them aside.
- 6Add the onions and celery and let cook, stirring constantly, until soft and slightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- 7Return the chicken pieces to the pot.
- 8Add the currants, sugar, vinegar, olives, capers and half the olives.
- 9Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- 10Turn the heat to high and cook, turning the chicken constantly, until the vinegar evaporates, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 11Turn the heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan and allow the chicken to cook through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 12Serve family style, garnished with the remaining almonds, fennel fronds, juice from orange wedges and pepperoncini.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Chicken: Pollo in Agrodolce
Serving Size: 1 (572 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 851.7
- Calories from Fat 573
- Total Fat 63.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 181.1 mg
- Sodium 313.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 51.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: