Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Now that the warm weather has arrived, gardens are in full bloom and many Canadians are eager to celebrate the season with an outdoor barbecue. Though nothing says summer like flame-kissed vegetables paired with juicy barbecued meat, not everyone is a grilling guru. The key to enjoying the enhanced flavours and textures of grilled foods is the right amount of heat, and a mouthwatering marinade. This summer, forgo the traditional barbecue staples and add a little variety to your outdoor entertaining menu. Marinated in a succulent sweet and sour sauce, these Asian-inspired skewers will add a little spice to any outdoor feast.
- 650 g chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, cut into thin 1/2' strips lengthwise)
- 1 bunch green onion (cut into 1 1/2' pieces)
- 1 red pepper (cut into 1 1/2' squares)
- 1 cup vh sweet and sour sauce (plus remainder of bottle for grilling)
- Pam cooking spray, grilling spray
- wooden skewer, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
- 1. Marinate chicken strips in 1 cup (250mL) of VH Sweet and Sour Sauce for one hour.
- 2. Thread each skewer with 2 pieces of chicken, green onion and 2 red pepper squares. Start by piercing 1 end of the chicken strip, slide on a piece of onion, pierce the chicken onto skewer again, then another piece of onion so that the chicken is weaving over the onion. When using the green part of onion use 2 pieces, when using the white use only one piece of onion.
- 3. When the first piece of chicken is weaved onto the skewer place 2 pieces of red pepper squares on skewer then repeat the chicken and onion procedure until it is fully weaved onto skewer. Continue process until all the chicken is used.
- 4. Spray grill with PAM Grilling Spray, heat grill on medium-high and grill chicken skewers while generously brushing with remainder of VH Sweet and Sour Sauce. Grill until cooked through, about 10 minutes.