Recipe by subaruthie
This recipe is adapted from several others I have come across to suit our tastes and food allergy needs. The spice can be increased by the addition of crushed red pepper flakes, but even without it is very flavorful and a favorite at our house. This recipe freezes well!
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits (including juice)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons wok oil, divided (garlic and ginger flavor)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken thigh
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the pepper and onion into small pieces (about 1 cm). In a large mixing bowl, combine the diced pepper and onion, pineapple (including all juice from the can), brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Stir well and allow to sit.
- Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, flour, garlic, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Slice the chicken into nugget-sized pieces (about 2x2x1 cm).
- In a plastic bag, shake the chicken with 1 tablespoon of wok oil, then add the flour mixture and shake until well coated.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick frying pan. Brown the chicken well on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Add the remaining ingredients from the large bowl. Add crushed red pepper if desired. Bring to to a boil, then turn the heat to low and allow to simmer covered for 15-20 minutes. The sauce should thicken and the chicken will be cooked through.
- Serve over rice.