1/2 Photos of Sweet and Sour Chicken
Papa D 1946-2012's Note:
Adapted from Simply Recipes. Prep time doesn't include marinating. High heat is used for this recipe because it is a stir fry of sorts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into 1-inch chunks) or 1 lb chicken breast (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 (10 ounce) can pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges 1/4 inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- juice from the canned pineapple
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (1/4 teaspoon table salt)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1In a bowl, combine the egg white, salt, soy sauce. Add the chicken and stir to coat the chicken evenly. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- 2In the meantime, whisk together the pineapple juice, water, vinegar, salt, and sugar.
- 3Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat until a bead of water instantly sizzles and evaporates. Pour in the 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and swirl to coat. It's important that the pan is very hot. Add chicken to pan and stir fry until juices run clear, dish out the chicken onto a clean plate.
- 4With heat still on high add remaining oil and stir in onion, bell peppers. ground ginger and stir-fry for 2 minutes over high heat, sprinkle with salt and sugar. Remove from wok and set aside.
- 5Combine the sauce mixture in the wok, mix well, and bring to a boil.
- 6Stir in thickener. Cook for 1 Minute.
- 7Add pepper and onion mixture, chicken, and pineapple. Bring quickly to a boil. Immediately turn off heat. Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.1
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 988.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 29.4 g
- Protein 25.1 g