Based on a recipe from FoodTV.com, with my own improvisations
Make and share this Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in 1 inch squares
- 2 green bell peppers, cut in 1 inch squares
- 2 medium onions, cut in 1 inch squares
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can pineapple chunks (drain and save juice)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar or 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- Combine the juices, sugar, vinegar and stock in a small bowl.
- Season the chicken cubes. Sauté in the vegetable oil until all pinkness is gone and the chicken is beginning to brown. Remove to a clean plate/bowl.
- Add peppers and onion to sauté pan. Heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the pineapple. Heat 1 minute.
- Add the juice mixture. Simmer until sauce has reduced by a third.
- Add cornstarch slurry slowly, stirring well, until sauce has a nice consistency.
- Add chicken back to pan, and simmer 5 minutes.
Very good! I made a small change to the preparation of the chicken - I prepared a pan with nonstick cooking spray and then rolled the cubes of chicken in a little bit of cornstarch seasoned with pepper (no salt) and then followed the recipe from there. It smelled wonderful too! Thanks for sharing!
I made your dish tonight for dinner. My 5 year old asked for sweet n' sour chicken. I found your site on the web, plus I had all of the ingredients on hand. Instead of putting the chicken in the sauce, I dipped my chicken in a prepared pancake batter and deep fried it. I also added about 2T more of brown sugar to sweetened a little more. My daughter loved it and so did I. Thanks! Looking forward to trying some more recipes.