Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
My mom used to make this when I was younger -- it was always a family favorite. Now, I make it for my boyfriend; he enjoys it better than the Chinese Restaurant versions. Be sure to season the chicken overnight -- it gives the chicken all its flavor.
- 5 whole skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 3 -5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2-3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 -4 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, in natural juice
- 1 large green pepper, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- maraschino cherry
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Season chicken chunks with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oil in an electric frying pan or deep fryer.
- Mix batter ingredients until smooth.
- Mix bite-size pieces of meat with batter.
- Deep fry batter covered meat until golden brown (make sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly).
- Drain chicken pieces on a paper towel.
- Place cooked chicken in a low heat oven, while other chicken is being cooked.
- In a bowl, mix pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar& molasses.
- Place mixture, along with pineapples, peppers, and cherries, into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- In a separate dish, mix together thickening ingredients.
- Add to saucepan.
- Stir and cook until glossy.
Chicken and batter recipe were outstanding. The sweet and sour recipe was a little too sweet. Next time I will use about half a jar of cherry juice (I didn't put any actual cherries in the sauce).
i loved it and so did my mom and she's really picky cuz she doesn't like sweet stuff... but i took out the green peppers didn't really like the taste with it