Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I fancied some sweet & sour chicken with a good quantity of nice thick sauce but couldn't seem to find a recipe so came up with this. I used Bill Hilbrich's Sweet Sour Sauce Secrets as a starting point for the sauce. It makes a generous size dish for two with lots of sauce for the rice / couscous or you could use say 500g of chicken and divide it four ways.
- 300 g chicken breasts, diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Sauce part 1
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple, pieces
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, finely diced
Sauce part 2
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- In a small saucepan saute the onion in olive oil over a low-medium heat until soft but not brown.
- Drain any excess, mix with the pineapple pieces and bell peppers and set aside.
- Rinse the saucepan, add the "sauce part 2" ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Bring to a gentle boil stirring constantly until sauce starts to thicken slightly, remove from heat and stir through the "sauce part 1" ingredients. I did this in advance and refrigerated a while.
- Season chicken with salt and/or pepper as desired.
- Cook chicken pieces in oil over medium - high heat for around 7-10 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile gently warm back up the sauce and serve over the top along with rice or couscous.
Wow, this is a fabulous recipe.
The family really loved this. I almost followed the recipe as written. I doubled the recipe and the only change I made was to add carrots and snow peas, as this family loves vegies added. However that was the only change. I did use white vinegar, but next time I think I might use the cider vinegar as suggested just to see if there is any difference.
Served with white rice this made for an excellent dinner, we all loved the thick sauce. The leftover's were to take to work next day, which we forgot, and DH was not impressed he had forgotten as he was really looking forward to it next day!
This is a recipe I will be making again for sure. This is one of the best Sweet & Sour recipes I have made.
This was so tastey!! I made it the same way we order it; without peppers and it was better than most of the takeout places we have tried! Made exactly as written (even found the corn flour) and served with white rice. Putting this in my Best of 2010 book! Made for AUS/NZ Recipe Swap #47.
OUTSTANDING !! We loved this. Made this as posted and took the advice from another reviewer and cooked some white rice and added the sauce to this. One of the best sweet and sour chicken recipes we have had in a very long time. Made for Recipe Swap #47.