Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Haven't tried this yet either, but it's a must-order when we go to Chinese food, so looking forward to giving it a try. Adapted from mykitchencafe.blogspot.com
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in beaten egg.
- Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through.
- Place in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Mix sauce ingredients (last five ingredients in the list) together and pour over chicken.
- Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes.
- About 45 minutes before chicken is done, prepare rice according to package directions.
- If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced - about 6-8 minutes.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
This was so quick to get in the oven and has a great flavor; not too sweet and not too salty. I liked dipping the chicken in cornstarch instead of flour, made it a lot crispier and helped to thicken the sauce. I added a few chunks of pineapple after it came out of the oven for a little sweetness. Made and reviewed for 2012 Spring PAC.