Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple dish I threw together, nothing to fancy, just a quick and easy standby. I use the sweet and sour recipe for a variety of things.
- 1⁄2 cup plum preserves or 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tomato ketchup or 1 teaspoon mustard (or both)
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Mix the above 4 ingredients, put in a lightly greased pie pan (any pan will work) add chicken breasts.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until juices run clear.
- I usually make some rice to eat with this quick meal along with some steamed broccoli or carrots.
This is a quick, easy recipe. It makes a great starting point. I've used it for chicken drumettes and steak so far. I add both lemon juice and vinegar as well as minced ginger and garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper to jazz it up a bit and to add a more Asian twist. It's great when time is limited. Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks Renita for another good recipe. I particularly enjoyed the subtle sweet/sour flavor. I marinated all ingredients (including a teaspoon of minced garlic) in a plastic Ziplock bag for an hour before baking it uncovered in my roaster. Cooking time was exactly 30 mins. I turned the oven off and left it warming for an additional 15 minutes while I finished preparing the rest of the meal.
Made this tonight for dinner and served it with leftover whole wheat spaghetti and fresh steamed brocolli for a quick, easy lo mein. It was yummy! The flavor was understated, as my mom put it. She says she usually shys away from sweet n sour because of how gussied up it is at restaurants. However, I myself wish there was a little more flavor. I found it a little TOO subtle (I could barely taste it). I used Smuchers sugar free apricot preserves, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, and Heinz ketchup. It was done in 30 mins in my oven. I'm glad I tried this, though. It was quick and easy. I debated between doing this or Dancer^'s ginger apricot chicken recipe. I chose this because you have yet to be reviewed and it's always a nice sight to see someone tried something of yours :)