Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe I originally found in Taste of Home. I have tweaked it a bit to suit our family's tastes. However - the sauce is true to the original recipe. I have used this recipe for a large women's group dinner (75 ladies) and there were oohs and aahs all around. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts, in strips
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, pepper and pineapple juice until smooth. (*If you drain juice from tidbits and add apple or orange juice to make 6 oz - this works just as well.) Stir in the ketchup, lemon juice and soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet or wok, cook chicken, carrot and onion in oil (or use veg. spray - works just as well) until chicken is browned.
- Add the zucchini and red and green peppers. Stir until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Pour sauce that was set aside over chicken/vegetable mixture.
- Add pineapple.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Sweet but not sour. I reduced the sugar to 2T, but it is missing the sour quality. It was ok.
Great recipe. Made as written, although next time I would like to add less sugar and more pineapple juice. Delicious and a real family pleaser. Photos also being posted. Made for Aussie forum recipe swap August 2010. I used glutenfree sauces to make this recipe gluten-free friendly
I made the entire recipe but only used three small breasts. It was great served over fried rice with the extra sauce.