Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found on the net. Very tasty.
Make and share this Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 12 large chicken wings, the thickest segment only (save other segments for stock)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup assorted fresh vegetable, such as sliced peppers, carrots, snow peas cut in half, sliced water chestnuts
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (recipe here)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup cold water, approximately
- 2 cups corn oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple chunk
- Using a sharp knife, loosen the skin, meat and cartilage from the narrow end of each chicken wing. Pull the meat back over the meatier end, turning the skin inside out and exposing the meat on the inside so wing looks like a lollipop. In a bowl combine the marinade ingredients, add the chicken and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Heat the tablespoon of corn oil in a medium saucepan and toss in the garlic and vegetables. Stir fry with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes, then turn off the heat. Discard the garlic. Combine the sauce ingredients and stir into the saucepan mixture. Place the saucepan near the stove, to be cooked later. In a bowl mix the batter ingredients until smooth.
- Heat the 2 cups of oil in a wok to about 325°F While the oil is heating, remove 1 tablespoon of warm oil from the wok and stir it into the batter. Dip each wing into the batter and deep fry as many pieces as will float freely until golden brown, crisp and cooked, about 5 or 6 minutes. Turn once or twice while frying so the pieces fry evenly. Remove and drain. The chicken can be kept warm on a rack over a shallow baking pan in a 180 degrees F. oven. Continue the procedure until all the chicken is fried.
- When the chicken is almost finished frying, restir the sauce to dissolve the cornstarch. Place saucepan over medium heat and, while stirring, boil until the sauce thickens and becomes clear. Stir in the fruit and turn off the heat.
- Place the chicken on a large serving dish. Pour the sauce with the vegetables and fruit over it, and serve immediately.