Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
a very popular chinese dish which can be cooked with fish, chicken or pork.
- 250 -300 g chicken or 250 -300 g lean pork
- 2 teaspoons brandy or 2 teaspoons whiskey
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, these are for the sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons stock or 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch paste (cornflour)
- cut the chicken into small chunks and marinate in a dish with the salt, pepper and brandy, for 25/30 minutes.
- coat the chicken in the beaten egg, add the flour, turning to coat all sides of chicken. deep fry for a few minutes. when cooked set aside.
- heat the oil in a wok, add the veg and stir fry, season, add tomato and stock. boil and thicken with the cornstarch.
- when cooked and thick add the chicken and mix thorouly.
- serve with rice.