Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This would make a great appetizer or dinner. It is a bit time consuming but well worth it.
- 1 lb very fresh red snapper fillet, skin removed, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup finely diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced white onion
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- bibb lettuce, cleaned
Homemade Tortilla Nests
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 4 cups corn or 4 cups vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- Emeril's Original Essence, to taste, Creole Essence / Bayou Blast
- In a medium serving bowl, combine all the ingredients. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. (NOTE: When ready, the "cooked" fish should be opaque; if not, marinate slightly longer. Be careful not to leave in too long, as fish will turn mushy.)
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Place a lettuce leaf on a plate. Top the leaf with the tortilla nest. Fill with the ceviche and serve.
- Homemade tortilla nests:In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 360 degrees F.
- Quickly dip the tortilla in the oil to make it pliable. Remove from the oil and carefully julienne the tortillas. Spread some of the julienne tortillas in a 1-cup ladle. Place a smaller ladle on top of the tortillas and immerse in the oil. Fry until crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt and Essence. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Serve warm with the Sweet 'n Sour Ceviche.