Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A heart warming, delicious side with a small twist. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 quart carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, no substitutions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cup water (reserved carrot cooking water)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cook carrots in boiling water until tender.
- Drain, reserving one cup of the liquid.
- Brown butter; add flour and brown well.
- Add salt, pepper, cloves, and carrot cooking water; stir constantly.
- Heat to boiling and add vinegar and sugar.
- Cook until smooth and add hot,cooked carrots.