Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious cabbage dish, I could make a meal on this alone served with rice! Use Golden Delicious apples for this if possible. You can throw in other ingredients that you wish to this too, this dish is very versitile!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar (use white or brown sugar, or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into about 1/2-inch strips
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin slices (you can use only one apple if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add in onions; saute for about 8-10 minutes, adding the fresh garlic the last few minutes.
- Add in the red wine vinegar, applesauce, brown sugar and cabbage; cook for about 7-8 minutes, or until the cabbage starts to wilt, stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender (about 20-25 minutes) stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and add in the sliced apple and apple juice; cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the apples are crisp-tender.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
This was so delicious! Used homemade unsweetened applesauce. When it came time to cook the apples, I increased the heat to reduce the liquid and caramelize the ingredients until they very nice and crispy. used a spatula to press down on the mixture so is browns evenly, too. One thing I would add next time is carrot-for nothing more than color. Used brown sugar and served the cabbage over brown rice as suggested. I have dreams of this dish with some cooked chopped bacon thrown in. Cheap to make and sticks to the ribs. Good job! cg ;)