Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This soup is simple and cheap to make, and a favorite comfort food in my family. My mother got the recipe from a former employer and friend, and passed it along to me. It is not a highly flavored soup, so feel free to add extra seasoning if you are eating it as a main dish. The cracked black pepper and fresh lemon juice are important to the flavor of the dish. I usually add extra raisins because I like them so well.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsly ground
- Brown the beef in in large dutch oven or stock pot over medium high heat.
- After a few minutes, add the onion, and continue cooking until the onions are transparent, and most of the pink is gone from the meat, about 10 minutes total.
- Drain any excess grease from the meat and onions, and return to the pan.
- Add the cabbage and 1/4 cup of the water, cover, and cook over medium heat until the cabbage is limp and getting tender, but still holds its shape, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and simmer until the vegetables in the soup are as tender as you would like, about 30 minutes.
- Serve with additional lemon juice and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- Like many soups, this is much better the second day after the flavors have a chance to blend.
It was okay. I thought the broth was too watery and too sweet, but I liked the other ingredients. I used beef cubes instead of ground beef and I cooked them on my George Foreman grill instead of cooking them in the soup.
I prepare this soup without the beef, to make it parve (vegan). I have also eliminated the honey and added a few more raisins. My family loves this, especially on a cold day!
Outstanding soup/stew and very hearty! I made a few minor changes to this recipe based on what I had on hand and also to help clean out the veggie drawer by using ground chicken instead of beef and 1 can of Rotel tomatoes (10 ounce can) and 1 (8 ounce can) tomato sauce. i also added 1 jalapeno, 1 parsnip and some frozen green peas. Wonderful and very flavorful with some heat from the jalapenos. Yumm! Thanks for sharing!