Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is real comfort food! It is easy to prepare and oh so yummy. Recipe courtesy: Sara Moulton, 2003 - Television Food Network.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 cups finely sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup plum tomato, chopped & drained (can)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ground fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- sour cream, as accompaniment
- finely chopped fresh chives, accompaniment
- In a large pot heat olive oil over moderate heat and cook the onions until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and the brown sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cabbage and stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer the soup uncovered, for 30-40 minutes until the cabbage is very tender.
- Taste soup and adjust seasoning with a bit more balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt &/or pepper.
- Stir in parsley.
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chives.
Enjoy sweet and sour. Enjoy Borscht. I would make it again, but I am in no rush.
this was pretty good. very spicy wich i liked. a bit too sweet for me (and i put less sugar than called for) but that is a personal preference. my husband who does not like cabbage really liked this soup.. well mostly the broth, and i liked the cabbage.. good soup for a cold day. thanks
Easy to make & a great end of the month budget stretcher! I had a green cabbage to use up so I used that instead of the red. It turned out perfect. Thanks for a great soup recipe!