1 hr 5 mins
This is real comfort food! It is easy to prepare and oh so yummy. Recipe courtesy: Sara Moulton, 2003 - Television Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 cups finely sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup plum tomato, chopped & drained (can)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ground fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- sour cream, as accompaniment
- finely chopped fresh chives, accompaniment
- 1In a large pot heat olive oil over moderate heat and cook the onions until translucent.
- 2Add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- 3Stir in the balsamic vinegar and the brown sugar and bring to a simmer.
- 4Add the cabbage and stir to combine.
- 5Add the tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- 6Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 7Simmer the soup uncovered, for 30-40 minutes until the cabbage is very tender.
- 8Taste soup and adjust seasoning with a bit more balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt &/or pepper.
- 9Stir in parsley.
- 10Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chives.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.7
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 551.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 19.3 g
- Protein 11.5 g