1/1 Photo of Sweet and Sour Cabbage Rolls With Sauerkraut
This is a stick-to-the-ribs vegetarian delight! Good to prepare on a day when you can enjoy the creativity of cooking!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or 2 tablespoons other vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 lbs fresh deli-type sauerkraut
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes with juice, coarsely chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, plus
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey or 1/4 cup date sugar, more to taste
- 1Finely chop 1 or 2 onion slices to make about 2 tablespoons.
- 2In a saucepan, cook the chopped onion in 1 tbsp oil, stirring, until translucent and limp. (Reserve the remaining onion slices.)
- 3Mix in the rice, stock, raisins, seeds, cinnamon, half of the salt and half of the pepper.
- 4Bring to a boil over high heat, lower the heat, cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- 5While the rice mixture is cooking, remove the core from the cabbage and discard.
- 6Place the cabbage in a large steamer or a deep soup pot and steam until the outer leaves become limp enough to remove one by one. (You'll need at least 18 leaves, and more if possible.) Lay out the leaves on a clean dishcloth to cool.
- 7Using a knife, remove the thick lower portion of the veins.
- 8Finely shred the remaining cabbage and reserve.
- 9Drain the sauerkraut, cover with fresh cold water, drain again and reserve.
- 10In a casserole dish, cook the reserved onion slices in remaining tbsp of oil, stirring,until limp, about 3 minutes.
- 11Add the shredded cabbage, sauerkraut, chopped tomatoes and their juices, tomato paste with water and remaining salt and pepper.
- 12Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 13Stir in the honey or date sugar and simmer a few minutes to blend.
- 14Taste and add more honey or date sugar if needed to balance the sour.
- 15Remove from heat.
- 16Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 17Fluff the rice mixture to distribute the raisins, sunflower seeds and spices.
- 18Place 2 tbls.
- 19of the filling on the lower third of a cabbage leaf.
- 20Fold up the lower part of the leaf, then fold over both sides, and roll up.
- 21Repeat with the remaining filling and cabbage leaves.
- 22Place the rolls seam side down into the casserrole dish, pushing them into the sauce.
- 23Cover and bake 25 minutes.
- 24Spoon the sauce over the rolls and bake 20 minutes more.
- 25If desired, continue baking, uncovered, to brown the top.
- 26Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Midwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Midwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Cabbage Rolls With Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (588 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.5
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2126.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 31.5 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: