Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A really good way to use leftover ham.Even though it is a simple recipe I was surprised at the good taste.
- 1 small cabbage
- butter or margarine
- 1⁄2 lb leftover ham or 1⁄2 lb fried bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Boil cabbage in salt water until soft, drain and put into a frying pan with some butter.
- Add the cut up ham or fried bacon.
- Add onion, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Simmer 1/2 hour.
- I added 3 slices of bacon and the rest ham.
This was absolutely DELICIOUS! I used bacon and balsamic vinegar. I did cut down on the boil time , thinking if I boiled it until soft, then it simmered for 1/2 hour it would be mushy... and I only simmered it for about 15 minutes BECAUSE I COULDN'T STAY OUT OF IT!! ;-) My husband (who hates cabbage) ate a cereal bowl FULL and my daughter tried it on her way out the door and said "save the rest for me" LOL This recipe was a definite HIT at my house!! Thanks for posting the recipe Dot!!