Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious side dish that is a great way to use red cabbage.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 lbs about 1 head red cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 large golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, cut into thin slices
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions; sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Mix in next 7 ingredients. Add cabbage; cook until cabbage begins to wilt, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Cover; simmer until cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring often, about 17 minutes.
- Uncover; add apple and apple juice and cook until apple is crisp-tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
We enjoyed this dish very much. Loved the combination of the tartness of the vinegar and the sweetness of the apples and applesauce. It makes such a nice presentation as well. Served this tonight with a sour cream green bean dish and rotisserie chicken. Made for Culinary Quest - U. S. Southern Region, August, 2014.