Recipe by JackieOhNo!
A delicious side dish that is a great way to use red cabbage.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We enjoyed this dish very much. Loved the combination of the tartness of the vinegar and the sweetness of the apples and applesauce. It makes such a nice presentation as well. Served this tonight with a sour cream green bean dish and rotisserie chicken. Made for Culinary Quest - U. S. Southern Region, August, 2014.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 lbs about 1 head red cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 large golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, cut into thin slices
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions; sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Mix in next 7 ingredients. Add cabbage; cook until cabbage begins to wilt, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Cover; simmer until cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring often, about 17 minutes.
- Uncover; add apple and apple juice and cook until apple is crisp-tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.