Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here it is, my Mother's sweet and sour cabbage recipe! Whenever served guests will ask for the recipe. Quite simple to make, and can easily be doubled for a dish to pass, etc...
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion, diced
- add shredded cabbage to boiling water, cover and boil about 15 minutes until crisp tender, drain.
- fry bacon until crisp, crumble and reserve 1 tbsp drippings.
- stir in brown sugar, water, salt pepper and onion.
- cook until thick, add to cabbage and stir in bacon.
This was such a wonderful dish & such a nice change. I was lazy & didn't want to go get a head of cabbage so I used a bag of slaw mix. Don't think it made a difference. We loved this. Made for 2010 PAC.