Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My friend, Amy, made this for dinner and I absconded with the recipe! It was great. Tangy and a bit different. The tomatoes made it look nice too! This recipe is from a cookbook called Kosher By Design.
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, partly drained
- 5 lbs beef brisket
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, peeled
- 1 (16 ounce) box dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put brisket in a baking pan.
- Pour the sauerkraut over the brisket.
- Add the tomatoes with their liquid.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Cover with foil and bake for 3 hours.
I made this recipe from the Kosher by Design cookbook for my Seder this year. Everyone loved this brisket! It was so easy to make. I seasoned my brisket with salt and pepper before adding the other ingredients. I used a mixture of whole tomatoes and diced tomatoes. When I served the brisket, I threw away half of the sauerkraut. I think you need to use all of the sauerkraut in cooking though to achieve the proper taste.
EXCELLENT, can use half the quantity of saurkruat thogh.
This was an excellent recipe. Has all the winning items, just a few ingredients, a bit different, easy, and a family pleaser! I didn't have 3 hours so I braised the meat and put it all in my pressure cooker. I cooked it for one hour and it was perfect. Thanks for sharing.