Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are pretty much like Harvard beets, you can use canned beets slices (use one can) for this, or fresh cooked beets, I prefer the fresh cooked! also adjust the sugar to taste. You can double this recipe if desired, don't omit the orange zest, it really adds a kick to the beets!
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water, that you used to cook the beets with
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups cooked beets (sliced or diced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- black pepper
- In a bowl mix together the sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in a little of the wine or vinegar to make a smooth paste.
- Slowly drizzle in the remaining wine or vinegar and the water (adding all the liquid at once can produce lumps in the cornstarch).
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan; cook over low heat stirring and scraping bottom of the pan often.
- Cook until liquid is clear (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in cooked beets, butter and orange zest; stir until the beets are heated through.
- Season with black pepper is desired.
LOVE this recipe! So Delicious! I did omit the orange since I didn't have any on hand, doubled the sauce as well as used fresh organic beets. NO HFCS like the jarred shelved kind! Thank You:)
Best sweet & sour beet recipe I have ever tasted!
You do not want to leave out the orange zest. This
is a simple & amazing recipe. I used fresh baby beets from our garden.
Pretty much a good Harvard recipe. Quick, easy and tastes great. I took the orange one more step and used orange juice for the water. Used fresh beets that I then diced as per DH's preference. Yummm