These are pretty much like Harvard beets, you can use canned beets slices (use one can) for this, or fresh cooked beets, I prefer the fresh cooked! also adjust the sugar to taste. You can double this recipe if desired, don't omit the orange zest, it really adds a kick to the beets!
- In a bowl mix together the sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in a little of the wine or vinegar to make a smooth paste.
- Slowly drizzle in the remaining wine or vinegar and the water (adding all the liquid at once can produce lumps in the cornstarch).
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan; cook over low heat stirring and scraping bottom of the pan often.
- Cook until liquid is clear (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in cooked beets, butter and orange zest; stir until the beets are heated through.
- Season with black pepper is desired.