Recipe by Annacia
The slow cooker is the real hero in this braised pot roast. Get a head start by prepping the beef, veggies and broth the night before.
Top Review by mary winecoff
My roast was very good...the sauce was wonderful. I added some small red potatoes to the mixture and had a simple easy meal but just adding a salad. Made for Fall Photo Tag.
- 4.92 ml salt (5 mL)
- 2.46 ml pepper (2 mL)
- 4.92 ml onion powder (5 mL)
- 4.92 ml garlic powder (5 mL)
- 1360.77 g cross rib beef roast (1.5 kg)
- 887.21 ml beef broth, low sodium (900 mL)
- 118.29 ml cider vinegar (125 mL)
- 118.29 ml lightly packed brown sugar (125 mL)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour (60 m)
- 59.14 ml water (60 mL)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders and sprinkle over the roast.
- In the slow cooker, combine broth, vinegar and sugar, and mix well.
- Add the beef and vegetables, cover and turn the slow cooker to LOW. Cook for approximately 8 hours
- Half an hour before serving, remove the beef and vegetables to a plate and tent with foil. Skim fat from the broth.
- Turn heat to HIGH.
- Mix flour and water together in a small bowl to make a slurry, and slowly add to the broth, pouring through a strainer to avoid lumps.
- Replace lid and cook for 30 minute
- Slice beef, serve with gravy, vegetables and your favourite side.