The slow cooker is the real hero in this braised pot roast. Get a head start by prepping the beef, veggies and broth the night before.
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 mL)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (2 mL)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (5 mL)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (5 mL)
- 1 (3 lb) cross rib beef roast (1.5 kg)
- 3 3⁄4 cups beef broth, low sodium (900 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar (125 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed brown sugar (125 mL)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour (60 m)
- 1⁄4 cup water (60 mL)
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders and sprinkle over the roast.
- In the slow cooker, combine broth, vinegar and sugar, and mix well.
- Add the beef and vegetables, cover and turn the slow cooker to LOW. Cook for approximately 8 hours
- Half an hour before serving, remove the beef and vegetables to a plate and tent with foil. Skim fat from the broth.
- Turn heat to HIGH.
- Mix flour and water together in a small bowl to make a slurry, and slowly add to the broth, pouring through a strainer to avoid lumps.
- Replace lid and cook for 30 minute
- Slice beef, serve with gravy, vegetables and your favourite side.