Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Saw and saved
- 3 lbs beef (chuck steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes shoulder roast)
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 onions
- Trim all the fat off the meat and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Put a large scoop of flour into plastic bag and put the beef cubes on top.
- Shake so the flour coats all the beef cubes.
- Put the coated cubes into a large casserole or Dutch oven. Slice the 3 onions thin and place them over the beef.
- Mix together all the other ingredients and pour over the onions.
- Bake in a covered pan at 250 to 300 degrees for 3 hours.
I was looking to see if my favorite sweet and sour beef recipe was already here, and here it is. This one uses one more onion than mine, and 1/8 cup more sugar than mine, but otherwise is the same. My recipe says to bake at 350F for 2 hours, so I think you can choose how much time you want your oven to run and adjust accordingly. (Do check it in the last hour to make sure it doesn't dry out completely.) My recipe doesn't specify that the pan be covered, so that part is optional. In fact, I think the cover may be a hinderance to the browning of the meat, so I recommend leaving it off. I've tried this in the slow cooker, and it's just not as good as when cooked in the oven. The oven browns the meat and dries the sauce a bit, so the end result is quite different. This is a very easy recipe and one that is company worthy! You can put it in the oven (or make the day before - flavor is even better then) and spend serious time visiting instead of slaving in the kitchen. The aroma is wonderful too!