Recipe by Sweet PQ?
This easy-to-make barbecue sauce can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months. It has no added salt, but packs a flavour punch. It's great on chicken, beef, or pork. From Canadian Living magazine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat and fry the onion until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, pineapple, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, oregano, chipotle powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours, or until thick. Let cool slightly.
- Puree the sauce in batches, in a blender, until smooth. Or, use an immersion blender. Keeps in the refrigerator 1 week, or freeze up to 2 months.