Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This sauce will keep well refrigerated for up to 1 month and freezes wonderful for up a 1 year! Use this for any recipe you like that requires sweet and sour BBQ sauce, it's wonderful on spareribs! If you like a more thicker sauce then mix 1 cup cold water with 1/4 cup cornstarch and stir into the simmering sauce at the end of cooking time. This sauce should be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated to blend flavors. If you like some heat add in cayenne pepper if desired. You will love this BBQ sauce!
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 medium onion (very finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (24 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1 quart cold water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder (or use 3 tablespoons fresh garlic sauteed with onion)
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons grated horseradish
- salt (optional)
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add in onion (fresh garlic and green pepper if using) saute until the onion is tender.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the tomato paste; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add in tomato sauce with all remaining ingredients; bring to a simmer cook stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for about 2-1/2 hours (uncover the last hour of cooking) stirring occasionally until sauce thickens and reduces.
- Season with salt if desired.
- Cool to room temperature and chill overnight before using.