Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is a favorite of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
- 12 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 10 dried whole arbols chilies
- 5 Thai red chili peppers or 1 habanero pepper
- 4 stalks lemongrass, cleaned and minced
- 8 shallots, minced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup diced carrot, blanched
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 40 fresh mint leaves
- Toss the chicken with the salt, turmeric and cinnamon.
- Cut off and discard the chili stems, shake out the seeds. Place the dried chilies into a cup of boiling water and refresh for 10 minutes.
- Drain and puree the fresh chilies, the shallot, garlic and lemon grass in a food processor. Reserve.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large pan or wok over high heat. Brown the chicken and set aside.
- Add the chili mixture to the pan, and cook for 4 minutes until fragrant and mahogany-colored.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and cook, tossing, until cooked thoroughly.
- Stir in the ketchup and vinegar, the salt and the sugar. Cook for several minutes; after the mixture boils, add the vegetables and mint. Toss and serve.