1/1 Photo of Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken
1 hr 5 mins
This is one of our favorite sweet and sour chicken dishes at our house, if you have any on hand add in about 1 cup of apricot preserves to this it seems to kick up the flavor! --- all the ingredients may be adjusted to suit taste, and the sauce may be easily doubled if using more chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (optional)
- 1 cup carrot, coarsley chopped
- 3/4-1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup pineapple juice (reserve this juice from the tidbits)
- 2 -3 tablespoons white vinegar (or to taste)
- 1/4-1/3 cup light brown sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger powder (or to tase)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple tidbits (reserving the juice)
- 3 -4 lbs chicken pieces
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or a larger baking dish or roaster if using more chicken and doubling sauce).
- 3In a medium saucepan, saute the onions, green pepper and carrots for about 3 minutes; add in the fresh garlic (if using), and saute for another 3 minutes.
- 4Stir in the ketchup, pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, salt, pepper and the ginger powder; stir with a spoon until all the ingredients are well mixed; bring to a light to a boil (at this point adjust all of the ingredients, adding in more to suit taste, and bring to a boil again for a couple of minutes).
- 5If you prefer a thicker sauce, mix cornstarch with cold water to make a thin paste, add to sauce and boil another minute.
- 6Add in the pineapple chunks/tidbits: set the sauce aside.
- 7In a large frypan, sprinkle the chicken with black pepper, and brown on both sides in oil until lightly browned (do not burn the skin!).
- 8Set the browned chicken pieces into the baking dish/roaster.
- 9Pour the sauce over the chicken; mix lightly to make sure the chicken is evenly coated with sauce.
- 10Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and cooked.
- 11Serve with or over rice -- delicious!
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.9
- Calories from Fat 311
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 148.6 mg
- Sodium 1024.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 35.6 g
- Protein 33.6 g