Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe was on the back of a bag of dried white great northern beans.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 slices bacon, thick & diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and halved
- Cook beans acording to basic directions on the package. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, cook bacon. When bacon has released some grease, put in the onion, garlic and celery and simmer until tender, constantly stirring.
- To this add the brown sugar, tomato sauce, chili sauce, dark molasses, salt, pepper and tobasco.
- In a 3 quart casserole, add the warmed ingredients to the beans and stir. Add in the pineapple and combine.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350F -- then uncover and bake for 15 more minutes.