Recipe by Bobtail
From my Cookshelf Italian cookbook and these are very good! You can add more sugar if you prefer it sweeter or more vinegar for more tang. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Sharon123
Oh yum! I used small onions, not baby, I just cut them into smaller pieces. I also halved it, but won't next time. Delicious! Mine were a little darker than the picture. I let them cook just a hair longer so they would be cooked through. Thanks!
- 12 ounces baby onions or 12 ounces pickling onions, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves, torn into strips
- 1 fresh lemon rind, thinly pared,matchstick size
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add onions and bay leaves, cook about 5-6 minutes over medium high heat, until browned.
- Add the lemon rind, sugar and honey to the pan with the onions and bay leaves.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until onions are lightly caramelized.
- Add the red wine vinegar to the pan, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring until the onions are tender.
- The liquid should almost all be gone.
- Serve immediately.