Recipe by lazyme
Great beans from epicurious.com. I usually add more bacon.
Top Review by LazySactoCook
Great beans! Prepared in advance, these have become a staple for our camping meals and BBQs. However, I have made some modifications: instead of one cup of water, I add a cup of beef broth; substitute DARK honey for molasses (if you like real sweet, use light honey); add 2 tsp (or to taste) of liquid smoke; one tsp of smoked paprika; one 15 oz can of chopped tomatoes (mostly drained) instead of tomato sauce. As for the bacon (mmmm...bacon), I add four chopped slices of lean bacon from my local meat/sausage shop. All in all, this recipe is a great jumping off point for some inventive BBQ bean dishes.
- 1 slice bacon
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini, rinsed, drained (white kidney beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Chop bacon; reserve.
- Pour off all but 2 teaspoons drippings from skillet.
- Heat drippings in same skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; stir 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, 1 cup water, sugar, molasses, vinegar and mustard and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in all beans and bacon and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Uncover and simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.