Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A blend of beans, spices, greens, and lime juice makes a wonderfully flavorful salad that is great for bringing along on picnics or camping trips. Taken from the great cookbook Campfire Cuisine: Gourmet Recipes for the Great Outdoors by Robin Donovan. Vegetarian and vegan friendly, gluten-free, and low calorie; making this a versatile side dish for group gatherings and potlucks as well.
- 3 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange, or a combination)
- 6 green onions
- Juice the limes into a large plastic or ceramic bowl.
- Add salt, honey, cumin, cilantro, and oregano in the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Drain the beans and rinse in a colander until water runs clear.
- Dice the peppers and green onions.
- Add beans, peppers, and onion to the bowl and toss with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Cover and store the salad in a fridge or cooler overnight for best flavor. Best if brought to room temperature before serving.
- Eat as-is, rolled up in wraps or tortillas, or add tofu or cooked chicken to make a main course.