Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious recipe from Chef Christine Merlo. "Brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness to this snack time creation as popcorn and nuts combine for the ultimate crunchy snack. Just when you think the sweet and salty flavors of the popcorn and nuts are the only taste combination, your mouth gets a big surprise as cayenne pepper kicks the flavor up to a whole new level."
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups roasted unsalted nuts (peanuts, mixed, almonds, cashews, or your favorite nut)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup popcorn
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt, for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and water.
- Heat and stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove.
- When the mixture has cooled, stir in the nuts to coat with the sugar mixture.
- Add the salt and cayenne pepper…taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Place a piece of parchment on a baking sheet.
- Spread the nuts out onto the sheet and place them in the oven to dry.
- Remove and cool. Set aside until you pop the popcorn.
- In a pot with high sides and a tight fitting lid, add the oil and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
- Toss in 3 kernels of popcorn and with the lid off, heat the oil and kernels on high heat.
- When the first two kernels of popcorn have popped, remove the pot from the stove and add the remaining popcorn kernels and place the lid on the pot.
- Return the pot to the stove and begin shaking the pot constantly until you can not long hear the popcorn pop.
- Remove the pot from the stove immediately, and carefully pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Add the cooled nuts to the popcorn and toss to combine.