Top Review by kelphotography
fresh, fast, fun, a delight in the mouth , the one i had had just the cantaloupe and or honeydew , not the watermelon, and also had cucumbers, and it had red onion , though im sure the red pepper would be a wonderful thing too as i love spicy , so i havent tried the watermelon in it yet , and i love the cucumber, so that must be a personal thing... but i love this for summer, and its so fast .
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 sprig lemongrass, finely chopped (white part only)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced (or grated zest of 1 lime)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup Thai fish sauce
- 1 red fresno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs watermelon
- 1 lb cantaloupe, peeled and seeded
- 1 lb honeydew melon, peeled and seeded
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 bunch basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped, toasted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- To make a dressing, combine sugar, water, ginger, lemongrass, and lime leaves in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Immediately remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, lime juice, fish sauce, and chile, and mix well.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Using a potato peeler or sharp knife, remove the green rind from the watermelon.
- Cut away the white flesh and thinly slice it.
- Cut the red flesh into large dice (discard seeds, if desired) and place in a large bowl, along with the slices of white.
- Cut the cantaloupe and honeydew into large dice and add to the watermelon.
- Add the lemon zest and basil leaves.
- Drizzle the dressing over the fruit and let stand for at least 10 minutes, but no longer than 2 hours.
- Garnish with the peanuts just before serving.