Recipe by cookiedog
This recipe by Susan Scarborough is From the Ultimate Recipe Showdown- Cookies. I love Sweet, Salty and Toffee so I can't wait to give this one a try.
Top Review by ksand512
My family really loved this recipe. I liked it too. But one problem is the toffee is too gritty. I plan to cut back on the toffee's sugar content to 1/2 cup, boil longer and DO NOT stir.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/2 cup butter for toffee
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar, plus 3/4 cup for toffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large fresh egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup chopped quality milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 cup chopped roasted and salted pecans
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt, crystals (recommend Maldon)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square metal cake pan with parchment.
- In large bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons melted butter and the melted chocolate. Blend in granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk in egg. Then stir in flour. Spread in pan and bake for 15 minutes, remove and leave oven on.
- Heat 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup of the brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Pour over brownie base and bake 7 minutes more. Remove from oven and sprinkle with milk chocolate, let sit 5 minutes, and spread to cover the top. Dust with ground almonds and then pecans. Sprinkle with salt. Press down pecans. Cool, then freeze 30 minutes before cutting. Serve at room temperature.