Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook by Gloria Bley Miller at the request of a Zaar member.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup stock
SWEET-N-PUNGENT SAUCE (see variations)
- 3⁄4 cup stock
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- BEEF BALLS: In a large bowl, combine ground beef with minced onion.
- Add egg, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Blend well but do not overhandle meat.
- Form into walnut-size balls.
- Heat stock to boiling.
- Add beef balls a few at a time (to keep temperature of stock from dropping to rapidly) and simmer, covered, until done, about 30 minutes.
- SWEET-N-PUNGENT SAUCE.
- Bring stock to a boil.
- Add sugar, stirring, and cook another minute to dissolve.
- Add vinegar; cook 1 minute more.
- Meanwhile blend cornstarch, soy sauce, and water to a paste.
- Then stir in to thicken.
- Pour sauce over cooked beef balls.
- Variations: For the sugar use brown sugar or honey.
- For the vinegar, use cider vinegar.
- For the soy sauce, use heavy soy sauce.